Department/Program: Food Processing/Food Technology
About the Program: During the recent years food industry has improved significantly. Concordantly, the need for qualified food technicians has also increased too. The food industry needs staff to produce and control the food as required. The aim of this program is to train qualified intermediate staff who can work at the production, marketing, and controlling phases of food industry. Students who successfully complete the program are awarded with the qualification of Associate Degree in Food Technology. The graduates of the program may apply to various undergraduate programs for a Bachelor’s Degree after getting the sufficient score in the Vertical Transfer Exam.
Work Areas: The graduates of this program can work at chemistry, quality control, and research and development laboratories in various sectors. All the food processing enterprises and agricultural laboratories, private or public, can employ the graduates of this program as food technicians.
Goals of the Program:
- To improve the skills of students in food processing industry.
- To make students gain the knowledge of basic laboratory techniques and equipments in the food technology.
- To train students in data interpretation.
- To improve students’ research skills.
- To improve students’ problem solving abilities.
- To train students in labor and worker safety procedures.
Learning Outcomes: Upon successful completion of this program, the students will be able to;
- Get the basic knowledge of food processing and technology.
- Know the principles of food harvesting, processing, packaging, storage and sale.
- Use the basic equipments and machinery of food processing and technology.
- Know the techniques and recent technologies in food industry.
- Analyse the quality standards of foods and interpret the results.
- Use the methods of research presentations, lab reports, and project preparation.
- Learn environment, food, agriculture, and environmental protection and awareness related to these terms.
The Departments that students can transfer through the Vertical Transfer Exam:
- Food Engineering
- Plant Protection
- Nutrition and Dietetics
- Agricultural Engineering