Banking and Insurance
Department/Program: Finance-Banking and Insurance/Banking and Insurance
About the Program: This program aims to train qualified professional staff who can work at banking and insurance sectors. It is aimed to meet the needs of these sectors by training staff who are equipped with communication skills and professional knowledge. The enrolled students take courses like Introduction to Banking, Introduction to Insurance, Economics, Banking Transactions and Legislation, Insurance Transactions and Legislation, Participation Banking, Banking and Insurance Risk Management, Financial Literacy, Business Mathematics, etc. Students who successfully complete the program are awarded with the qualification of Associate Degree in Banking and Insurance. The graduates of the program may apply to various undergraduate programs for a Bachelor’s Degree after getting the sufficient score in the Vertical Transfer Exam.
Work Areas: The students who are graduated from this program are employed at the firms which work at the area of banking and insurance of public and private institutions (Banks, Insurance Companies, Financial Companies). The graduates may also find a position at accounting offices according their interests and competencies.
Goals of the Program:
- To educate students about the bank types and their roles in the economy.
- To educate students about insurance firms and their products (individual life insurances, individual retirement, non-life insurance, casualty insurance, etc.)
- To train students in commercial and participation banking transactions.
- To educate students about derivatives markets instruments.
- To educate students about bank borrowings.
- To educate students about financial statement analysis.
- To educate students about basic law, banking and insurance legislations.
- To train students in financial marketing and sales.
Learning Outcomes: Upon successful completion of this program, the students will be able to;
- Take various responsibilities as staff member in banking and insurance firms.
- Understand the importance of following current laws and legislations in the field of profession.
- Explain the importance of individual or group research, development and implementation activites on banking and insurance.
- Infer the importance of banking in terms of the national economy and firms.
- Use computer softwares at the basic level required in the field; also use information and communication technologies particularly related with the insurance and banking.
- Find practical solutions and make correct decisions related to problems encountered in daily commercial activities.
- Analysis and interpret the balance sheet and income statement of a business.
- Transact banking and insurance opearations and sale related products.
- Have professional self-confidence and entrepreneurial skills in terms of customer relations.
- Have the basic professional English knowledge in banking and insurance.
The Departments that students can transfer through the Vertical Transfer Exam:
- International Trade
- Insurance and Risk Management
- Banking and Finance
- Banking and Insurance
- International Trade and Logistics
- International Trade and Finance
- Business Administration
- Insurance and Risk Management
- Logistics Management
- International Business